WEASEL WORDS

 Is weasel word a euphemism ?  Or is euphemism in fact a weasel word ?  Or the other way round ? Am I talking complete cobblers ? I reject this. Reject is the new deny. There's no confirm or deny here. You just simply whack the white ball off the table. As in 'the Japanese whaling companies reject the accusation that 'scientific whaling' is the biggest load of  cobblers since someone suggested Shane Warne's tweets were a form of writing. Reject. It's brilliant. Mr Hitler and Mr Goebbels would have loved this shit......

"Hitler today rejected accusations that he had invaded Czechoslovakia and Poland, explaining
that his neighbours had gone out leaving the lights on and he'd popped in to switch them off . And what's this? Oops, France, you've left the back door unlocked again. Careless .."

And moving right along to the relatively trivial, we here at ALIAS POOR YORICK are a bit tickled at a local theatre company's warning that their latest production contained "contemporary language". And we thank them for this warning. I don't want my children hearing actors spouting filth like  "21st Century" or "Welcome to 2011". Oh I know they've probably heard obscenities like that in the playground, but I think it's important to maintain standards. I'd like to wish you all good afternoon on this Friday February 18th but we all know that sort of smut isn't smart or funny.


Okay. Time for recreational substances. Quiet up the back .. I said quiet up the back !  I know who you are. I know what server you use. I'm sorry I didn't mean to shout but there's just no room here on this quiet sophisticated well-behaved blog for that sort of rowdyism yes I'm talking to you Mr Wu Tang Clancy of Boronia-Bayswater. Settle down.

 We're talking words here pal. The English language and its use and abuse. Recreational substances, we assume, are for people who are too scared to take drugs. Or are only up for "recreational" drug use. And the great weasel-word thing about "recreational drug" use is that it implies there's a possibility of getting good at it and going pro: Yeah mate, got a job down at  GreatBigDrugCo. What do you do all day ? Mate. I can't remember. But the people are great to work with. I think ....

 Don't get me wrong friends, I'm not moralising. Hey there was a time when I took drugs. I took a lot of drugs. But you know, the inevitable happened & I got caught. After that I had to pay for them. Boom boom. Heartfelt apologies. That was such a long way to go round for a crap joke - hope you all packed water and a lunch. That was so bad I may have to look round for a subordinate to blame. Paul ? Paul Yorick ? Why did you write this terrible joke ? I think we all need to pray to the Comedy Gods for forgiveness.

Finally, as always, our ALIAS POOR YORICK quiz for the day.
 Which of the following three is actually a recreational substance :  (a) cocaine  (b) cannabis  (c) AstroTurf      ?

I'm sure you all got that right. Well done.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

HOW TO NOT SHOOT TAYLOR SWIFT

LEST WE FORGET © ANZAC 2019 ™ ®

HOW TO GIVE UP SMOKING