POP GOES THE WEASEL WORD

Now if I can be perfectly honest about this ( there's nothing like a change) I love a good weasel word myself. Frankness is a laudable quality in communication, but it can get messy. And you know that's going to happen when someone says "Don't take this the wrong way, but .. " There's the first clue. Nothing good ever comes after "but".

..I love you madly but I've been having sex with your sister & her friend Gunther. And their goat . Who, by the way, is very fond of you and feels intensely guilty about the whole thing. As do I. Well maybe not intensely, but definitely guilty. For sure. Should I shut up now? Okay. Yes . What are you doing with that knife ?

But back to "Don't take this the wrong way...."  Here's a thought : put it a different way. "Don't take this the wrong way ... leads to "I've always loathed you, your children are ugly and stupid. and your wife is the spawn of Satan"  And I always think - I'm really glad you forewarned me otherwise I would have found that outburst a little upsetting. Thank you for your consideration. You are a true friend.

And friends, if you've ever found yourself on the verge of uttering the phrase "I probably shouldn't say this" .. here's a thought. Don't. Just shut the f--- up. Surprise yourself and others.

Hoping you have a particularly nuanced sort of a day.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

HOW TO NOT SHOOT TAYLOR SWIFT

LEST WE FORGET © ANZAC 2019 ™ ®

HOW TO GIVE UP SMOKING